[CT Birds] Western and northern birds

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Nov 12 11:15:13 EST 2012

John's second (possibly) Audubon's Warbler is another recent example of the western birds showing up in our region. Mountain Bluebirds have been found in New England over the last few days and a unusual number of Bell's Vireo sightings have occurred in the east this Fall. Still another Audubon's Warbler has been found in MA and a Virginia's Warbler has been seen and photographed in NY. It would definitely be a good idea to have our vagrant awareness tuned to high during the coming weeks as well as during the upcoming Christmas counts.

As for the northern birds, it seems to me from what people have been seeing in northern New England, combined with the low availability of the natural food sources, that we may well see a significant influx in CT of Pine Grosbeaks and Bohemian Waxwings this winter. Pine Grosbeaks tend to be less wary with human civilization than many species, and if we have a significant snowfall when they are around they will often land on road surfaces to pick up grit. Sadly, they also will not fly to the very last moment, if at all, when a car comes.

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.