[CT Birds] Titmouse Dilemma

Barbara Garrett barbaragarrett at optonline.net
Mon Nov 12 14:05:18 EST 2012

In the 17 years I've lived here, I've never had so many titmice--at least three flocks that must total 35-40 birds.  They are devouring my black sunflower seeds (shells on) at a very expensive rate.  They aren't eating them near the feeder as I've seen them so in Spring/Summer.  Instead, they are flying away with each seed, presumably to cache.  I wouldn't mind them caching if it weren't at such an excessive, almost compulsive rate!  In the past, their caching behavior has not been the problem that it is this year.

I don't want to take my feeder down, and I want all including Cardinals, Grosbeaks, Finches, etc. to feed there.  Are there any great ideas on how to solve this?

north Stamford