[CT Birds] Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary

jayne.neville at cox.net jayne.neville at cox.net
Mon Nov 12 17:04:20 EST 2012

CT Birders  -

Long overdue the MVSS  website is finally updated with great information and wonderful photos of birds in care and around the sanctuary!   Please make sure to check it out at www.mvssanctuary.org. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, positive or for improvements!
At this time I am caring for several birds including a badly injured Cedar waxwing, a fractured purple finch, a very ill white-throated sparrow and a recovered Barn swallow that will be spending the winter having missed its migration. The sanctuary continues to rely on donations made by the public and caring individuals. Currently, the monthly expense for just the basic foods of mealworms and sunflower is approximately $700.00, over half being the mealworms! Depending upon the species of birds, and how many are in rehabilitation, this food cost can rise dramatically.  In addition; during the winter months, live mealworms, suet and sunflower are always made available to birds visiting the sanctuary. When below freezing temperatures or snowstorms occur, songbirds energy demands increase substantially which can double the amount of foods being provided for them and consumed.

For this upcoming cold weather season our goal is to raise $10,000.00 to ensure funding to supply foods for the all sanctuary birds through May of 2013. Please consider making a donation this Holiday Season which will help us continue with our mission to support the conservation of migratory songbirds.

As always I am incredibly grateful and humbled by the support I receive in CT and couldn't do it without you!

Jayne Neville
Mount Vernon Songbird Sanctuary