[CT Birds] LHP Ash-throated Flycatcher

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 12 18:11:09 EST 2012

>From Greg Hanisek

11/12 New Haven, Lighthouse Point hawk watch ( 5 hawks) - The Point was socked in with fog until after 10 a.m. When it cleared some birds, including a couple big flocks of bluebirds, started moving, and a Myiarchis flycatcher flew by me fairly close and low at c 11: 15 a.m. It flew into the grove of trees between the watch site and the carousel. I knew that seasonally this bird should be an Ash-throated Flycatcher, which has a history of appearances in the Northeast in Nov-Dec, well after all Great Crested Flycatchers have departed. I also knew its preference for open habitats (as opposed to the forest-loving Great Crested) should make it easy to relocate in the open grove. Two hours later that hadn't come to pass despite help searching from an ever-increasing number of arriving birders. At c 1:15 p.m., after scouring the park, I was back at the hawk watch picnic tables when Sara Zagorski spotted a bird THE BIRD on one of the concrete blocks  that
 line the dirt road up to the watch. It remained very cooperative for a good number of birders and photographers until about 4 p.m., when it disappeared behind the feeders set up at the "prairie." This is the 4th or 5th state record.

During the search for the flycatcher I found a very late INDIGO BUNTING feeding on the ground with juncos