[CT Birds] American Bittern at Silver Sands; Black Scoter at Milford Point

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Thu Nov 15 22:47:19 EST 2012

11/15/2012 Silver Sands State Park. Walking back to my car along the old service road, I came around a bend and there was an American Bittern standing in the road with its head pointed towards the sky. It stood their for 30+ seconds, then finally flew into the marshy area south of the road..  How strange! That's the second time I've encountered an American Bittern doing something like that. The first was at Willard's Island at Hammonasset many years ago...
Milford Point: There were 2 female Black Scoter just of the Beach at Milford Point this afternoon, 4 American Oystercatcher in with a mix of other shorebirds; 15 Black-bellied Plovers, 2 Ruddy Turnstones, 325 Dunlin, and 50 Sanderling.  A Male N. Harrier flew by and flushed most of the smaller shorebirds.

Frank

Life is short. Bird often.