[CT Birds] Feeder watch Cooper's hawk - Washington, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 17 08:59:49 EST 2012

Finally got my solo black-oiled sunflower feeder up here in Washington, CT on 1 Nov 2012, following Hurricane Sandy. No surprises with the feather 'clients' at the feeder so far this year. Today (Saturday, 17 Nov 2012) is one of my day's for doing Feeder Watch and I had a male Cooper's hawk come by the feeder area this morning. The Cooper's hawk took after the blue jays in the area of the feeder, chasing one into a nearby large ceder tree. The Cooper's hawk was about the same size as the blue jay but was a Coop not a sharp-shinned hawk. Always amazed at the size difference with the sexes of the accipter hawks.

David W Babington
Washington, CT