[CT Birds] 11/17 Barkhamsted Reservoir

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 10:50:16 EST 2012

>From Jamie Meyers:
11/17 -- Barkhamsted, Barkhamsted Reservoir -- 25 BLACK SCOTERS.  The nearby woods were full of expected conifer forest species such as Red-breasted Nuthatches, Brown Creepers and the like, but no winter finches.

There were also several Common Loons about and the south side had 5 Ring-necked Ducks in the distance.  The north side of the res had more things that were too far out to ID, perhaps one or two of them were Dave Rosgen's grebe.  A couple looks like candidates.  There is a road to the west of the res that has historically been good for winter stuff and it was quite birdy in the morning sun but nothing of special note.  I also ran a quick route around Canton and checked some conifer areas but no luck.  There are cones around but the finch roulette wheel did not stop favorably for me this morning.  Still, a lovely morning to be out.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT