[CT Birds] Audubon Greenwich Trip - Pink-sided Junk and Audubon's amongst others

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Sat Nov 17 15:35:24 EST 2012

Hi All,

We decided to nix heading for Long Island and Jamaica Bay due to park closures and instead hit Hammo and East Shore today. We had the same birds as everyone else did at Hammo (minus the gull) - though at one point we had a flock of 70+ flyover Red Crossbills that I'm not sure others reported.

At East Shore it was rocking (and buggy), 6 warbler species (and a potential 7th) included: Palm x2, Prairie, Black and White, Blackpoll x2, 'Myrtle' Yellow-rumped 20+, Pine and 'Audubon's' Yellow-rumped. The Audubon's was elusive but seen on a couple of occasions and looked very similar to the Stratford bird - yellow throat, eyering and lack of supercilium giving it a distinctive look - an adult male in non-breeding? It didn't respond to tape and I couldn't pick out its distinctive chip at any time while we had it.

The Junco was even cooler, I picked up what at first on very short views I assumed was going to be an Oregon type but with better views quickly changed my mind: Steel gray hood, sharply contrasting brown back, sharply contrasting and extensive pink flanks and most importantly dark lores. Photos were obtained by trip participant Bob Rocco and I will post them ASAP for others opinions. Although they are not Nat Geo quality they do show all these features nicely. Out of interest does anyone have an idea of how many Pink-sideds have been documented here or in New England generally?

There were also 3 species of swallow: Barn, Rough-winged and Cave (no Tree?) and intriguingly short views of a Blue-headed type Vireo which was confirmed by another birder - but he said it looked washed out and I never saw it again - would have liked to - so keep your eyes open if you are down there.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich