[CT Birds] 11/17 Broad Brook pond

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 19:35:59 EST 2012

>From Jamie Meyers:
11/17 -- East Windsor, Broad Brook Pond -- 1 GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE, along with the continuing female BLACK SCOTER.  Not as many geese as expected, around 4 PM today.

I can't figure the movements of these birds out.  I was thinking that the geese might be using that pond as an overnight roost but I could be wrong.  I got there around quarter to four and there were maybe 500 Canadas there, which is far less than others have been seeing.  The only interloper was the one White-front.  The scoter is a well-marked female (I assume this is the same bird others have reported).  She had her head tucked and I only once got a brief look at her face.  I was interested to note that whenever a goose would go near she would paddle away a bit but remain tucked.  As the geese drifted left, she drifted left with them.  Then back the other way. again while remaining tucked.  As it got closer to sunset some geese came in but just as many left.  I only visit this spot when I'm visiting family in Windsor Locks so I'm not there that often.  Once recently  I was there at 11 AM and there wasn't a goose on the pond, then the next week at that same time of day there were thousands.

The scoter, by the way, is a pretty nice bird for that location.  I think the best duck I've ever seen there previously would be Green-winged Teal.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT