[CT Birds] 11/17 Hammo - Great Bird List

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 17 20:42:12 EST 2012

I just keep going back to Hammonasset.  I love this place and it has not been letting birders down lately.
If you add up what birders saw today at Hammonasset, it is quite an impressive list (of reportable birds):
Can anyone else add to it?

Black-headed Gull
Royal Tern
Cave Swallow
American Bittern
Black Scoter
Red Crossbill
White-winged Crossbill
Common Redpoll
Pine Siskin
Grasshopper Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Snow Bunting
Red-breasted Nuthatch

For Roy:

From Tim Antanaitis:
11/17/12 - Madison, Hammonasset Beach State Park -- 2 ROYAL TERNS, 1 CAVE SWALLOW,
1 AMERICAN BITTERN, 7 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS, 2 PINE SISKINS, 1 GRASSHOPPER
SPARROW, 1 FOX SPARROW, 21 SNOW BUNTINGS, 3 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES

The Royal Terns (too far for photos) and American Bittern were all the way at the end of the Moraine Trail at
12:30.  The Cave Swallow (too quick for photos) was over the East Beach parking lot and headed out over the
marsh at 2:00.  I've been trying to get photos of everything that's rare or interesting.  I like the challenge of juggling
the camera, bins, and scope.  I know I'm not a professional photographer, but, man, I'm having a lot of fun with it
- even though my focus doesn't work on my camera, my 19-year-old-scope's zoom mechanism is broken, and my
bins are around my neck with a shoe string!  I think I'll try it again tomorrow.

Here's a few photos from today:

Grasshopper Sparrow:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5811942030463645906

American Bittern:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5811942038529723570

Snow Buntings:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5811942056712593522

I also wanted to thank Richard Payne, Frank Mantlik, Paul Desjardins, David Lawton, and Dan Rottino
for sharing their sightings with me.

Tim Antanaitis
Middletown