[CT Birds] Chester, 11/18: winter wren, brown creeper, and odd blue jay behavior

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Nov 18 18:52:43 EST 2012

Chester, 11/18: Two special visitors to the yard today: WINTER WREN and BROWN CREEPER. It's been 30+ years since I've seen a creeper in our neighborhood (doesn't mean they aren't creeping around, of course), so I was tickled to have one trolling around in our apple and oak trees this afternoon.
Also noticed some unusual blue jay behavior. Saw one fly up to our roof with a dead vole. It put the body down, pecked at it a couple of times, then tried to fly it to a perch on our cherry tree. It dropped the vole while landing, but didn't make any move to pick it back up. A second blue jay went down and also pecked at the body a couple of times, then they both flew off, leaving it behind. So obviously, blue jays are "carryin'" birds... but are they sometimes also carrion birds?
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester