[CT Birds] 11/18 Hammo

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 18 20:40:18 EST 2012

I searched the Hammo campground this morning from 9:30-12:15 looking for western vagrants.  I walked the
entire perimeter.  No luck.  I did have a few interesting birds, including 2 new Hammo species for me - Common
Raven and Red-shouldered Hawk.  The raven was flying over and calling at East Beach and seemed very out of
place.  The hawk was in the campground somewhat near the main entrance to the park.  There was a White-
crowned Sparrow in the campground near the cedar row visible from West Beach.  The Grasshopper Sparrow
was still hanging out at the Meigs Point parking lot - it really got used to people since it was first seen - everytime I
drove by, someone was photographing it at very close range.  A Marsh Wren was along the trail on the way out to
Willard's Island - this is one of the more common reportable birds, but I don't think too many are still hanging
around on this date, which is why I am reporting it below.  25-30 White-winged Crossbills and a few Red-
breasted Nuthatches were in the pines at West Beach.  I searched the various flocks of Snow Buntings and
Horned Larks for a longspur, but did not find one.  A Merlin (campground) and a Cooper's Hawk (Middle
Beach) were also around.  There was an American Crow in the campground that sounded human - very strange
noises that I tried to record, but by the time I was recording, it went back to just being a normal crow making
normal crow sounds.

Here are some photos:
Red-shouldered Hawk
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5812301415175587202
Merlin
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5812301413560003138
White-crowned Sparrow
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5812301424353798226
Common Raven
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5812301431637104850
Marsh Wren
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5812301445996861186

For Roy:

From Tim Antanaitis:
11/18/12 - Madison, Hammonasset Beach State Park -- 25 WHITE-WINGED CROSSBILLS, 20 SNOW
BUNTINGS, 1 GRASSHOPPER SPARROW, 1 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROW, 1 COMMON RAVEN,
1 MARSH WREN, 5 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCHES