[CT Birds] Monk Parakeet Nest Survey

Kevin Burgio kevin.burgio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 14:59:48 EST 2012

CT Birders,

As you may (or may not) know, I am a UConn Ph.D. student in the in the
ornithology lab where I study Monk Parakeets.  Currently, I am working on a
project that aims to categorize the distribution of Monk Parakeets within
Connecticut.  To do this, I need to find as many of their active nests as
possible this winter and I am hoping the birding community can help point
me in the right direction.

The reason I am writing is that it would be extremely helpful if anyone
with knowledge of the location of any active Monk Parakeet nests could
share it with me, either through email (kevin.burgio at gmail.com) or through
my website: http://www.eeb.uconn.edu/people/burgio/report-sighting.htm .

While any information you could share with me would be much appreciated, if
you could let me know the following about each nest (to the best of your
knowledge): precise location (street address, GPS, or a detailed
description), approximate age (if known), if currently active (presence of
Monks, active building, etc.), and nesting substrate (tree, utility pole,
etc.).  I am interested in historic nests, however, I am focused primarily
on nests you've seen in the past few months or ones you know still exist.

Thank you all in advance!

Kevin - Hamden
___________________________________
Kevin Burgio (CV)<http://hydrodictyon.eeb.uconn.edu/eebedia/images/b/bb/Burgio_CV2.pdf>