[CT Birds] Monk Parakeet Nest Survey request

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Nov 19 15:52:56 EST 2012

"...such information posted online could easily make their eradication a reality."

Considering the nature of the communal nests, and the vociferous behavior of the species, I don't think a gathering of data such as Kevin proposes, would be likely to be lead in such a direction. The state department that would be tasked with such a program is already pretty much informed of any and all "problem" Monk Parakeet nests (not my term), and have been ever since they became established in CT. Indeed, I believe information gathered by someone in the birding community (Kevin) would much more likely be a useful tool in protecting the species in question. There are indeed some people who want to see them eliminated, these individuals will always exist and always have some species (even human) they rail against. In my opinion, secrecy or an incomplete public understanding concerning the status of any species would more likely work to the advantage of a an organized campaign to eradicate, if such an eradication campaign were ever considered. I must state that to my knowledge (or suspicion), no such organized eradication is in the offing. So I would hope the birding community will support Kevin's request.

Dave

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.