[CT Birds] Monk Parakeet Nest Survey

SOPHIE ZYLA sophiezyla at snet.net
Mon Nov 19 16:06:39 EST 2012

Kevin included a link to his website which has a lot of information. Below is what he listed

Goals:
1. To identify and quantify critical aspects of the Monk Parakeet's nest construction process on utility poles to inform the concept and design of a nesting exclusion device.
2. To develop and test a non-lethal and cost-effective exclusion device that successfully prevents the Monk Parakeet from nesting on utility poles.
3. To analyze past and present nesting trends with regard to habitat preferences, in order to create a predictive model of potential Monk Parakeet range expansion in Connecticut, which may be applied in other states and countries.

Good luck with your research. I will add sightings as I see them. It did seem quiet around the area of the Lordship seawall last time I went by that way. Normally they made a lot of noise in that area.

Sophie Zyla
Beacon Falls