[CT Birds] Monk Parakeet Nest Survey

Kevin Burgio kevin.burgio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 16:34:27 EST 2012

All,

I'd like to elaborate a little more, given Mike's (and others) concerns. In
a nutshell, I am leading a collaborative project between UConn, Fairfield
University, St. Xavier University, University of Chicago, University of
Illinois, and Texas A&M.  The goal of which is to characterize the
distribution of the Monk Parakeets in Connecticut and compare recently
published (and unpublished) distribution models from Monk populations in
Chicago, Barcelona, and Texas.  We also hope to use this data to help
understand where the birds may spread in the U.S. (and other places they
are non-native) as well as to understand why the Monk Parakeets do not
occupy all suitable habitats in their native range in South America.

Overall, my research is about the nature of what limits bird distributions;
it is not designed to facilitate efforts to eradicate Monk Parakeets.  My
website only allows for interested people to submit observations of nests
but does not post that information.  I have no plans to publicly release
detailed information regarding nest locations.  However, I hope to publish
analyses of these data in the scientific literature as well as give public
presentations, as I did a couple of years ago for the New Haven Bird Club.

So, please feel free to ask for more elaboration if you like; I am happy to
answer your emails and questions.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Kevin

--