[CT Birds] Hammo: WW Crossbills etc.

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Mon Nov 19 20:09:26 EST 2012

Denise Jernigan and I had the following highlights from the morn and part of the afternoon birding at Hammo SP in Madison:

40 White-winged Crossbills, most in the West Bch conifers, also along the main access road likewise in conifers on the right side as you go towards Meigs Point

Very few Red Crossbills, perhaps 4
3 RB Nuthatches
2 Pied-billed Grebes
3 Common Loons
17 Horned Larks, 16 Snow Buntings, seen in both Nature Center lot and East Bch lot
2 Greater Yellowlegs
1 Merlin
1 Cooper's Hawk
1 No. Harrier

We did not have any luck with the Grasshopper Sparrow in spite of our going back to that spot three times.

Peaceful day to be out and about!

I have submitted a list to eBird.

Carolyn Cimino
Waterford