[CT Birds] East Shore Park

peeplo at aol.com peeplo at aol.com
Mon Nov 19 20:45:37 EST 2012

11/19/2012 East Shore Park, New Haven; My brother John and I stopped in to look for the "Oregon" type junco and the Audubon's Warbler today. We ended up seeing The Audubon's along the fence at the west end of the fence line near the big vine tangle. There were 2 Blackpoll Warblers, 1-2 Palm Warblers, 1 Prairie Warbler, 17-20 Yellow-rumped Warblers, 5+ Red-breasted Nuthatches, 24 White-winged Crossbills (21 in pines near the shore flew out when we arrived, 3 others were in the pines along the fence), 42 Red Crossbills in two flocks, one of 20 was in the shoreline pines for at least an hour, the second group was in the pines on the north side of the wastewater treatment plant. 3 Barn Swallows, 1 N. Rough-winged Swallow, 1-2 Ruby-crowned Kinglets, 1 Golden-crowned Kinglets, 2 adult Peregrine Falcons, and a few Swamp Sparrows...   Frank Mantlik et.al saw the Black-throated Green Warbler here today, as well. By my count, there have been 16 species of warblers recorded for East Shore Park in the month of November in the last couple of years, plus the Audubon's. Truly amazing! I've photographed 5 species, so far, and hope to get shots of the rest to post before the month is over...  Cheers.

Frank Gallo
Milford

Life is short. Bird often.