[CT Birds] Help Identifying Bird in Ellington

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 20 15:52:46 EST 2012

Hello Debbie,
Thank you for sharing your photos of your mystery bird. I'd say it is a BULLOCK'S ORIOLE (immature male). That species is the western counterpart of our Baltimore Oriole, and occurs rarely but with some regularity in the East, including CT. It exhibits a very yellow head, cheeks and breast, black through the eye and on the throat, bold white wing bars, a pale gray back and belly. If my ID is correct, that species occurs in CT about once every 5 years or so, usually in late fall or winter.
Is your rare visitor still visiting your feeder? If so, no doubt many birders would love to come see it.

Best regards,
Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone