[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Redpolls, both Crossbills etc

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Tue Nov 20 16:52:30 EST 2012

Hi All,

Finally tally on the day 1 Sharpie, 3 Red Crossbills (Anyone recording these? Assuming these may well be a different population from the ones we got coming through in late August?), 2 White-winged Crossbills, 4 Redpolls (the singleton was joined by 3 others - one of which looked interesting but on brief and distant scope views I'm not calling it), 1 Pine Siskin, 2 Purple Finches, 4 Red-breasted Nuthatches and one final rarity 2 Mute Swans heading east fairly high over the watch - not sure I recall ever seeing them here before. Pictures of the Common Redpoll can be seen on my blog here: http://underclearskies.com/2012/11/20/last-day-winter-finches/

Thanks to Annette Cunniffe, Catherine Hamilton, Shaun Martin, Mike Warner, Ken Mirman and Joe Zeranski for stopping by for the last day.

Luke Tiller, Greenwich