[CT Birds] Heap o Reds

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Nov 21 14:04:38 EST 2012

1-2 pm flock of 20+ Red Crossbills in the Japanese black pines at West Beach at Hammo.  Also some in the pines on the road to Meigs.  Most of them had a soft musical Jip note, but one had a louder and harsher call, as did the ones I heard on the way to Meigs'.  Didn't get a recording though.  One observer from RI had a single W-Winged at West Beach and there were R-b Nuts and a Palm there.

Paul D had some Reds at ESP earlier along with the BTG Warb and we had a Palm and 2 Blackpolls.  Noble Proctor had a look at the Audubon's and I heard the chip.
Also 3 Barn Swallows and a Northern Rough-winged and a sapsucker.

Patrick Comins, Meriden.

Sent from my iPhone