[CT Birds] Long-eared Owl on wing in Waterford

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 21 14:43:17 EST 2012

I left work early to get some things going for the holiday, 10 am, and while
I was driving through a wooded area of Waterford a Long-eared Owl flew
through the trees and crossed the road in front of me. The woods were open
enough for me to see there were no mobbing birds in pursuit but the flight
and behavior of the owl strongly suggested it had been rousted and was
anxiously looking for a new shadowy corner of the forest to occupy. This
would undoubtedly be a migrant at this location. Made a decent day even
better. Well maybe not so much for owl actually.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England