[CT Birds] Northern CT redpolls +

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 22 13:36:16 EST 2012

If my experience today is any indication of things to come, now is a good time to bone up on the vocalizations of Common Redpoll should you need that. I encountered two flocks of 10 - 12 birds apiece in a short time, the first in a swampy section of the rails to trails path in East Granby, the second at Sunrise Park in Suffield. Red-breasted Nuthatches, the subject of several successful targeted town bird searches, were around in good numbers, and Winter Wrens were found in a few places too. Nice day to be out.

Not much in an early sweep of lakes in the Litchfield area except a group of 11 Pied-billed Grebes at Bantam Lake off the Litchfield Town Beach. I believe that's a personal high for one location.

>From Jamie Meyers:
11/22 -- Rails to Trails, East Granby and Sunrise Park, Suffield -- 10 - 12 COMMON REDPOLLS in two separate flocks.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT