[CT Birds] Sharpie or Cooper's

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 23 19:36:07 EST 2012

Joe,

Last week's photos of the juvenile Cooper's Hawk generated considerable, interesting, on-line and off-line discussions about identification and field marks (thanks Amy!).  This past week, you presented a beautiful full frame portrait of an adult accipiter - and there's silence.  There's an obvious reason:  the plumage of adult Sharpies and Coops are extremely similar.

I've contemplated the crown, argued about the auriculars, analyzed the eye placement.  My guess is it is a fluffed-up Sharpy, based only on an impression of the head shape.  Can't adult accipiters be identified, without a perfect view of the crown color, nape color, or shape of the crown?  Are there any useful field marks in this photo?

Steve Mayo
Bethany