[CT Birds] Pine Siskin Diet in CT - Help

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 23 19:05:12 EST 2012

I would appreciate it, if you could ad your sightings to this list...
I have observed PINE SISKIN over the years eating the following:

Black Birch-cones
White Birch    "
Yellow Birch    "
Hemlock       "
Swamp Alder    "
New England Aster
Bull Thistle
Dandelion - a pair nested here one year, and I observed them feeding from this
plant in the spring.
Goldenrod - Saw these birds this year exploring within this plant, but did not
see exactly
what they were eating. Seeds or insects?

Evening Primrose -?
Small cones seem to be the only cones Ive seen them eating from.
Have seen Siskin eating-gleaning- seeds from trees on the snow surface.
Mostly Birch seeds. Thanks...

Paul Carrier - Harwinton