[CT Birds] Sharpie vs. Cooper

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Nov 24 11:16:10 EST 2012

Just because I like to get in trouble I'm going to say I think  Amy's bird
is a Coopers Hawk. The beak seems relatively large to me, in  relationship
to the head, and the head appears large in relationship to the  body. Also,
the tip of the tail is obviously rounded, although I don't  consider that the
best field mark.
But the sides of the lower face and the neck are very light colored, and my
 own impression and every good set of pictures I can find clearly seem to
show  that as a trait of an adult Coop. An adult Sharpie has the bright red
color/markings extending right up to the beak and under the eyes. This
picture  is the best example of that:

http://i995.photobucket.com/albums/af76/galahmom/other%20photos/birds/Cooper
sHawk112012-4.jpg

And by the way, I do think that  bird looks rather fierce

Don Morgan
Coventry