[CT Birds] Sharpie vs. Cooper

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Sat Nov 24 16:55:47 EST 2012

I agree with the Cooper's ID for Amy's adult bird. As Steve noted, the adult
Cooper's dark cap and paler gray nape are visible on the one image where
it's got its head turned. On adult Sharpies the cap and nape are generally
the same color. Although I mentioned leg thickness as suggesting Joe's bird
might be a Sharpie, I have to agree it's pretty subjective. I found I
couldn't really make up my mind what the legs were telling me on Amy's
current bird (as opposed to the immature Coop she posted previously). As Don
mentioned, the mostly grayish auriculars also suggest Cooper's (although
there are sexual differences, with adult male Sharpies showing the most
reddish color there), and it seems to have a pretty hefty bill.

Anyway I hope neither of them eats her cuckoo.

Greg Hanisek