[CT Birds] Red-tail hawk with bird road kill on RT 47 in Woodbury, CT

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 26 15:27:45 EST 2012

This morning (Monday, 26 Nov 2012) I drove from Washington, CT to Woodbury and Southbury to do a bit of shopping. As I was driving on RT 47 in Woodbury I noted a road kill in the middle of the road. I first thought the road kill might be a an American robin (reddish breast) but after I passed the road kill I realized based on the size  and longish tail of the road kill that it might have been an accipiter hawk. Returning later on RT 47 from my shopping trip I came upon a red-tailed hawk dragging the above road kill off to the side of RT 47 for an early lunch. Did not get a good look at the road kill bird the red-tailed was moving off RT 47 but do think it was likely an accipiter hawk. Red-tailed hawks do take advantage of whatever might be available to eat. Luck for the red-tailed hawk that RT 47 is a not too heavily traveled road or the red-tailed might have become road kill it's self.

David W Babington
Washington, CT