[CT Birds] Bobcat vs Lion

Anthony Zemba ajzemba at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:34:30 EST 2012

We had expert trackers Nick and Valerie Wisniewski Directors of Walnut Hill
Tracking and Nature Center speak at Hartford Audubon Society regular
meeting  back in 2006.  I remember a couple of things they said about this
issue that bears repeating:
1) At the time in 2006, DNA evidence had been confirmed of a cougar in the
Quabbin Reservoir system of central MA.  However, this did not reveal the
origin of the animal, so it could have very well have been released by
someone, and

2) Bobcats can have surprisingly longer tails than people think in some
cases, especially older individuals.

Indeed the literature gives a range of tail lengths, and add a winter coat
to the mix with longer hair extending off the end and it can appear even
longer - much longer than a little "bob".

However, based on what some idiotic people keep as pets - (I remember
reading in the NY Times about the guy in New York City that was attacked by
his pet Bengal Tiger which he kept in his highrise apartment) - if cougars
are out there, I doubt it is from dispersing individuals trekking half way
across the nation from the Black Hills of the Dakotas or from the Florida
Everglades all the way to New England.  More likely it is a release of a
pet that was getting increasingly difficult to take care of.