[CT Birds] N. Shrike and Redpolls near Goshen, CT

Jacob Musser jacob.musser at yale.edu
Tue Nov 27 17:18:09 EST 2012

This morning Nick Bonomo and I birded the northwest corner of the state
looking for finches and other northern birds.  We found a Northern
Shrike near the intersection of East St. N and Whist Pond Rd.  The bird
was teed up in a distant tree in the field southeast of the intersection
(we saw it while looking almost straight south from approximately 100
yds east of the intersection).  We also found a single flock of about 20
Common Redpolls feeding in a stand of Tamaracks on Hageman Shean Rd.
However, besides this, we found no Siskins, Crossbills, or other
interesting finches.

Jake Musser
New Haven

For CT Daily:

 From Jake Musser with Nick Bonomo:
11/27/12 - Goshen, Intersection of East St. N and Whist Pond rd --
Northern Shrike, teed up in a tree in field southeast of intersection.
Also, flock of 20 Common Redpolls feeding in a stand of Tamaracks on
Hageman Shean Rd.