[CT Birds] Brown Creeper?

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 29 16:22:53 EST 2012

Joe, yes it is a Brown Creeper.  And not a bad shot of a bird that is somewhat challenging to photograph.

FYI, in my travels recently I have been focused on adding Red-breasted Nuthatches to various town lists, as there are quite a few of them around right now.  Brown Creepers often occur in similar habitats, as well as other less evergreen-rich places, often traveling in loose flocks with chickadees and their friends.  I have found creepers to be around in pretty good numbers as well.  Learning their call note, which is an emphatic high-pitched single note, is mighty helpful in locating them.  Beware confusion with Golden-crowned Kinglets, which have a similar call, often given in triples -- but sometimes given singly.  Sometimes you just gotta see the bird.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT