[CT Birds] Winter food for raptors

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Fri Nov 30 18:27:49 EST 2012

I have a white oak and a red oak in my yard, and last year they had very
few acorns. This year they have zip zero nada. I've lived here for 40 years
and  that's the first time that ever happened.
Also, I have a shagbark hickory and a pignut hickory. The shagbark had no
nuts for the first time ever and the pignut had very few, which all fell
before  they were ripe.  And they also had almost none last year. Never saw
that  before either.
Needless to say, the squirrels are mobbing my feeders. But the good news
is, there are less squirrels than usual around my yard, and I assume that has
to  do with the nut crop failures back to back.

Don Morgan
Coventry