[CT Birds] Mea culpa on RN Grebe reported yesterday: juv not adult

Sailcarm sailcarm at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 14:23:24 EST 2012

Yesterday I reported having seen 2 RN Grebes in Stonington.   Just a quick update on one of them which I reported as a grebe with fading breeding plumage.

I did some research this morn and found out that what I saw was a juvenile and not an adult, although Sibley's Guide says the RN Grebe retains juv plumage only until October,  but this one I guess is a late bloomer.  it was a beautiful bird with those dark cheek stripes still quite evident and still lots of rufous in neck area.

Carolyn Cimino

Sent from my iPad