[CT Birds] Stratford

Donna Caporaso donnacap at aol.com
Sun Dec 2 17:55:04 EST 2012

Warehouse Pond behind factories, Long Beach Blvd.
1 Great Blue Heron
2 Great Greats
A few black ducks and mallards
1 Coopers Hawks proudly perched in the tree watching everyone.

Main Pond by factories
2 Swans
1 Kingfisher
1 Adult Black Crowned Heron

Long Beach close to shore past 3 jetty were a pair of Red Throated Loons, could just make them out in thick fog and could hear them.
Saw Charlie B. there who said there was a Nelson's sparrow in the brush along the parking lot but wasn't able to find it.
Assortment of Dunlins and Sanderlings
1 Great Egret and several Killdeer in marsh next to entrance.

Also there were a pile of feathers, some cuts and blood of someone's lunch.  The feathers were very pretty, silver gray with white on the tips and a lot of small all white.  Does anyone know what bird that would have been?

My yard has had several Tufted Titmice, Chickadees, Juncos, a lot more sparrows than the norm (100 at least the past 2 days), and Monk Parakeets have moved into the neighborhood somewhere.  I find if I don't use the larger feeder and don't sprinkle seed on the ground for the Doves they don't hang around much.  Hope that continues to work.

Donna Caporaso

Stratford, CT