[CT Birds] Stonington Point

Julie Keefer julie.keefer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 18:44:29 EST 2012

Headed out to Stonington Point this afternoon to see what we could see.
 There was a female Common Eider hanging out right at the end of the
parking lot, she even stood on one of the rocks for us.  Several Common
Loons and one that looked like a Common Loon but had a white speckled back,
is this possible?  We saw at least one of the Red-necked Grebes along with
at least 2 Horned Grebes.  Saw Double-crested Cormorant diving and way out
on the rocks I was wondering if those really big cormorants were Great
Cormorants?  Our scope just isn't good enough to see that far.  Tons of
Red-breasted Merganser around.

Drove along River Rd in Pawcatuck and saw several Gadwall in the river
hanging out with a large group of Canada Geese and Mallards.

Still have siskins here in North Stonington.

Julie Keefer
North Stonington