[CT Birds] Peregrine Falcon

Steve Morytko smorytko at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 14:37:39 EST 2012

Despite the heavy fog this afternoon I managed to spot a Peregrine Falcon at Stearns Farm below the barns on Stearns Road in Mansfield. It flew across the corn field and landed in a tree and was almost immediately joined by a Cooper's Hawk. After driving closer and getting a good, brief look the falcon moved to a distant tree in the middle of the field. The hundreds of Canada Geese were unconcerned but before I spotted the falcon the local pigeons were in motion.

At Hansen's Pond along Wormwood Hill Road (also in Mansfield) it seems that the 100+ Ring-necked Ducks from earlier in the week have moved on but 4 Hooded Mergansers were there.

Steve Morytko
Ashford, CT