[CT Birds] Colebrook and Canaan MT

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Fri Dec 7 14:32:01 EST 2012

Went to Colebrook at 10 this morn, my brother
saw CANVASBACK DUCKS here yesterday, but
they closed the lower rd for construction.
I went from here to Twin Lakes, Salisbury:

Lg lake open. saw:

2- C Loon
4- Black Duck
1 - Ruddy Duck
2 - C Merganser

Small Lake, 80% open:

30- Hooded Merganser
1- Ruddy Duck
1 - C Loon
1 - Great B Heron

On to Beaver Dam, 40% open:

26 - Ring-n-Duck
15 - Hooded Merganser
4 - Bufflehead

Took Weatogue Rd north:

200+ Robin along river: They were here in big numbers eating
the profuse Japanese Bittersweet berries growing all over the tall trees.
It appears this introduced plant has become a staple food for berry eating
birds during the winter, esp when the native food crop is so poor, as this
years is. Also saw 4 Mockingbirds accepting the Robins take over of these

Of note: - I also saw 4 large Robin sized birds fly over my car while driving
that looked very much like Pine Gs in shape and size. Was my guess to what they
 but not certain.Could not relocate them.

Also saw a far out dark morph ROUGH-L-HAWK on other side of river,
 flying over an open field towards Mass.

Canaan Mt:

I stopped at the top where the Pitch and other Pines are found along the rd.
trees were bare of cones, but their were a few that had them. Unfortunately i
no birds there. I did however see a Bobcat walk out of the woods onto the rd
 just 20 feet in front of me, look at me, then slowly wandered into the woods on
other side.
He turned, and we looked at each other for awhile, then he made a soft meow like
and slowly walked into the woods. This was a real special sighting for me.
Though i have seen many of these cats up here in the past, this was the first
 that actually stopped and contemplated me as much as I did of him. It was just
and I in the silence of this spot, accepting each other as equals. Made my day!

Paul Carrier - Harwinton