[CT Birds] Barred Owl

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Dec 10 10:57:48 EST 2012

Well this is a tough subject. We all love to see owls, and I have seen Barred and Long-eared on the move recently. It certainly looks as though a very serious prey shortage is the likely cause for so many birds moving. I hike a fair amount (often at night) and I usually hear/see vole and mouse species in the leaf litter quite frequently. However this Fall I have seldom encountered them. Indeed I have hiked over 50 miles in CT already this month and have only encountered a couple of these guys. This dearth is likely hitting mammal predators as well. So we need to be conscious that many owls are likely malnourished to the point of starvation, and any additional stresses may prove fatal. Please observe any owls you encounter this winter from a distance!

Dave

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.