[CT Birds] Mrlbrgh Pine GB-No, Raven-Yes

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Thu Dec 13 22:34:17 EST 2012

The ravens have an established population in town.  Exactly as described by
Dan, I've photographed a handsome bird in that location, cleaning its beak
on the shingles. They've nested in the hollow behind my house for the two
decades I've been here.  I look forward every Spring to hearing the
prehistoric "grawk, grawk, grawk" back there.  Years ago I took my
then-young daughter on an outing to find the nest, and we were aggressively
dive-bombed by the parents. They are smart.  I once watched one 'dumpster
diving' near the center of town.  It was on a light pole or tree literally
waiting until no one at the nearby gas station was watching. Only when the
coast was clear did it dive into the confines of a large dumpster.  It then
quickly extracted its prize and stuffed it into a growing cache behind some
piled construction debris outside the dumpster at ground level. Then it
returned to its high perch to wait for the next opportunity to repeat the
process.  I took this effort, to relocate the food to a more secure staging
point, to be a sign of real intelligence.  Impressive birds.
Russ Smiley
Marlborough, CT