[CT Birds] Cave Swallow details

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Fri Dec 14 14:13:07 EST 2012

12/14/12: East Haven, at the Four Beaches Condo complex:  I went to this
location to look for shorebirds and sea ducks at the mouth of the Farm
River, in anticipation of the Xmas count tomorrow.  Upon walking into the
complex, I immediately saw a single swallow flying around the complex.
There is an open grassy area within the complex by the water, and it was
flying around the edge of this area.  It flew low to the ground at times,
and made several passes within a few feet of me.  The bird was definitely a
Cave Swallow.  It had a buffy rump, dark wings and tail, a dark cap, and a
light buffy throat and collar.  This was one of those great birding moments.
I was standing there, watching this beautiful and rare bird from Texas or
Mexico, flying past me over and over again.   We sure do have a great hobby.
I hope the bird can be relocated tomorrow for the actual CBC.

Good birding, everyone.

Chris Loscalzo,

Woodbridge