[CT Birds] Stonington grebes +

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 14 17:48:05 EST 2012

>From Jamie Meyers:
12/14/12 -- Stonington, Dubois Beach -- 2 RED-NECKED GREBES and 1 female COMMON EIDER.

The wind was overpowering when I was there around 1:30 PM but I managed to find the grebes.  also of note for the season were 2 Great Egrets at Barn Island WMA, which was otherwise eerily quiet but for the wind.

While pishing in an unsuccessful attempt to get an RB Nut from a chickadee flock in Ledyard, a Barred Owl flew in, looking rather thin and hungry.  I felt badly about that.  For the time being I am likely going to discontinue my heavy pishing in areas where these guys might be.  This is actually the third daytime encounter I've had in as many weeks and that's enough for me to see the pattern.

East Beach in Charlestown, RI continues to have impressive crossbill flocks and the highest density of RB Nuts per square acre I've ever encountered.  Note well if you go there and are not familiar with the lay of the land.  Park in the paved main lot and walk the unpaved campground road.  Do not attempt to drive it.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT