[CT Birds] GH OWL Milford

Gary Witte wirthwitte at att.net
Sat Dec 15 08:36:43 EST 2012

________________________________

Last January, I heard a Barred Owl in the trees in the small remnant of woods
that has been left around our cul-de-sac (which are part of a semi-linked series
of wetland/woods greenspace remnants threading through the developments). I've
called for it ever since each night when walking the dog, but no luck. With
Barred Owls 20 minutes away in New Haven this year, I've been listening, but no
luck.

But the past two weeks, my husband and I have heard a Great Horned Owl 4 times
in the evening. Last night, it began singing around 6pm, after sunset but while
the sky was still lit up showing the trees in black silhouette, so I was able to
locate it near the top of mature tulip poplars. In profile, it sat at an angle,
head at 1:00, tail at 7:00, but each time it called, it tipped forward, head at
2:00, tail at 8:00. It was very chunky with a surprisingly long tail, I thought,
and the ear tufts were clearly visible when it turned its head toward me. After
a few minutes it flew off towards woods to the south.  -Winie Wirth, Milford