[CT Birds] Le Conte's Sparrow - Bloomfield

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 15 14:37:30 EST 2012

For those who may be interested, this location is off CT 189 also known as Tunxis Road.  It's about a mile north of  the intersection of Tunxis and Terry's Plains Road, which itself is about a mile north of Filley Pond in the center of Bloomfield.  There is an unmarked drive on the left next to a large brown sign that says Bloomfield Reservoir 3 Recreation Area or something kind of similar.  Drive in and you'll see tennis courts on your right and the gardens directly in front of you as you turn right at the tennis courts.  As you face the plot from the driveway, with a large maintenance shed on the left and the water (reservoir 3) to your right, we found the sparrow in the hedges along the fence line on the right, that is, closest to the water.  It was actively moving back and forth in the hedges and was fairly down low much of the time.  There were lots of other sparrows in the area but I'm not sure whether it was associating with any of them in particular.  David and I both noted a chip note, which to me was reminiscent of a Savannah's chip note.  I heard the note before David spotted the bird and was looking around for a Savannah at the time.

Hartford area birders will be familiar with this spot because there have been multiple Northern Shrikes here in years past, though not lately.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT