[CT Birds] New London-Orient Pt ferry - Kittiwake in CT, Common Murre in NY

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 16:43:06 EST 2012

Phil Rusch and I took the 8am round-trip ferry out of New London to
Orient Point, NY today. On our trip over, Red-throated Loons were
thick inshore on both sides, and there were a few Northern Gannets on
both sides as well. We had a COMMON MURRE mid-sound but clearly on the
New York side. Two RAZORBILLS were at the mouth of Plum Gut on the NY
side. On the way back we had an adult BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKE, a
RAZORBILL, and a large alcid sp. mid-sound but on the CT side. There
was no detectable "movement" or migration of anything...all birds
seemed to be local.

The few mid-sound pelagic birds we had today may be a good omen that
last year's large alcid bonanza could happen again.

Hammonasset was quiet in the rain. Very windy and very high tide. A
nice December count of 32 Ruddy Turnstones and a single PURPLE
SANDPIPER at Pebble Beach. Absolutely nothing off Meigs Point.

>From Phil Rusch & Nick Bonomo:
12/16/12 - Long Island Sound, New London to Orient Pt -- BLACK-LEGGED
KITTIWAKE, RAZORBILL (plus COMMON MURRE and 2 RAZORBILLS in New York
waters)
Madison, Hammonasset Beach SP - PURPLE SANDPIPER

There is quite an east wind blowing out there today. Could mean
another wrecked Dovekie, as there have been inshore sightings of this
species from Long Island (several) and Rhode Island (at least one).
Checking shore points over the next few days could be rewarding.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com