[CT Birds] Storm Forum - Monday at 8:30 am in New Haven

Breslin, Sandy sbreslin at audubon.org
Sun Dec 16 20:48:35 EST 2012

Hi All,

Forgive the late posting - after a busy weekend of Christmas Bird Count, just a reminder that a discussion of "Storm Recovery and Resiliency in Connecticut" will take place tomorrow, December 17th from 8:30-10:30 am at the Tagliatela Center at Albertus Magnus College in New Haven. State Representative James Albis, Chair of the Shoreline Preservation Task Force, and Representative Mary Mushinsky, an expert on the Quinnipiac River and its watershed, will join with environmental leaders to discuss the impacts of recent super storms and how Connecticut can recover and prepare for the future. Patrick Comins will provide an update on storm impacts to birds and their habitats. This is a great opportunity for the birding community to share concerns about storm impacts and response. An agenda and directions are included below.

The event is free and open to the public. Light refreshments will be served.

"Storm recovery & Resiliency in Connecticut" is made possible by a generous grant from the Quinnipiac River Fund of the The Community Foundation of Greater New Haven and is sponsored by Audubon Connecticut; Citizen's Campaign for the Environment; Connecticut Audubon Society; Connecticut Fund for the Environment; Menunkatuck Audubon Society; Save the Sound; Sierra Club; The Nature Conservancy, and Watershed Partnership.

We look forward to seeing you tomorrow morning.  Please contact Sandy Breslin at (203) 804-0488 with any questions or for further information.

Best,

- Sandy

Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 804-0488 cell (Best)
(203) 264-5098 x306
(203) 264-6332 fax
www.audubonct.org

Audubon Connecticut, the state organization of the National Audubon Society, works to protect birds, other wildlife and their habitats using education, science and conservation, and legislative advocacy for the benefit of people and the earth's biological diversity. Through our network of nature education centers, protected wildlife sanctuaries and local, volunteer chapters, we seek to connect people with nature and inspire the next generation of conservationists.

Agenda

8:30 AM - Arrival & Continental Breakfast
9:00 AM - Welcome & Introductions
          Sandy Breslin, Audubon Connecticut
9:05 AM - Update on Shoreline Preservation task force
          Representative James Albis, Chair, Shoreline Preservation task force
9:20 AM -Update on storm impact on Quinnipiac River Watershed
          Representative Mary Mushinsky
9:35 AM - Storm Impacts on Birds and Habitats
          Patrick Comins,, Audubon Connecticut
9:40 AM - Federal Funding for Storm Response
          David Sutherland, The Nature Conservancy
9:45 AM - Issues related to storm recovery and resiliency
          Legislator Remarks
10:00 AM - Open Discussion
10:25 AM - Wrap-Up
10:30 AM - Program concludes

Directions

>From 1-95 North or South: Take I-95 to I-91 North. Take I-91 North to Exit 6 (Willow Street). Proceed right on Willow Street to Whitney Avenue and turn right onto Whitney Avenue. Turn left onto Huntington Street. After you cross Prospect Street, turn right into the second driveway on the right (at the bottom of the hill). The Tagliatela Academic Center will be the fourth building on the right; it has a large statue of St. Albert the Great in front of it. You will find parking directly in front of the Tagliatela Academic Center and in an adjacent lot.

>From Points North: Take I-91 South to Exit 6 (Willow Street). Follow directions above.

>From the Merritt / Wilbur Cross Parkway (Route 15): If traveling on Rt. 15 North, take exit 61 and turn left onto Whitney Avenue. If traveling on Rt. 15 South, take exit 61 and turn right onto Whitney Avenue. Follow Whitney Avenue 3.4 miles and turn right onto East Rock Road. Proceed straight through one stop sign. At the light turn left onto Prospect Street. Take your next right onto Huntington Street. Turn right into the second driveway (at the bottom of the hill). The Tagliatela Academic Center will be the fourth building on the right; it has a large statue of St. Albert the Great in front of it. You will find parking directly in front of the Tagliatela Academic Center and in an adjacent lot.

** Enter the following address if using a GPS. Follow the signs from this location. **
310 Huntington Street, New Haven CT 06511