[CT Birds] White Ibis, C. Redpoll Stratford & Pine Grosbeak Marlborough

Tim Antanaitis timant123 at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 16 22:12:00 EST 2012

>From Tim Antanaitis:
12/16/12 - Stratford, Long Beach Blvd -- 1 juvenile WHITE IBIS at 1:30 pm on downed tree hanging
 over warehouse pond, 3 COMMON REDPOLL at 8:00 am in birches by B/E Aerospace building
 Marlborough, Rte 66/Main St -- 1 PINE GROSBEAK at 3:00 pm in crabapple in front of ProHealth/
Marlborough Pediatrics building

White Ibis:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5822723638172070818

Pine Grosbeak:
https://picasaweb.google.com/101508656659768574408/NovDec2012_CT#5822723789030372610

Persistance payed off for me this weekend with two state birds.  I hung out all day Saturday to see the Le
Conte's Sparrow in Bloomfield - at one point I told another birder I didn't know why I was still there.  I hung out all day Sunday to see the White Ibis in Stratford.  A nonbirder would not understand how that was so worth it.

If anyone is looking for the ibis, the following notes/times may help you decide when to go if you can't make it to the roost site at dawn (me - for a birder, I really hate getting up early). The ibis
was not at the warehouse pond at 8:00, 9:25, 12:00, or 12:55.  The ibis was not at the pond behind 611
Access Rd at 8:15, 9:15, or 12:10, or anywhere else to be found in the Stratford loop.  I took a trip to
Westport somewhere in between those times and did not see a Cackling Goose among the 225 Canada
Geese at Sherwood Island, or anything too exciting.  So I returned to Stratford to try for the ibis again and I finally found it.

Tim Antanaitis
Middletown