[CT Birds] White Ibis Stratford

Steve Mayo and Rebecca Horowitz rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 17 10:12:00 EST 2012

Great photos!  And if the White Ibis remains until Wednesday, it will be be a Count Week sighting (presumably a CT CBC first).

Thanks Donna and others, for all the postings, and please keep 'em coming from now through Christmas.  The Stratford-Milford Count is this Saturday, December 22.  The area contains excellent inland wooded and suburban habitat as well as Seaside Park, Lordship, Milford Point, Silver Sands, and Gulf Beach.  Yet it is the smallest (participant total) of the coastal counts.  If anyone has even a couple hours to spare this Saturday, preferably in the early morning, please contact me off-line.

Note also, Barkhamsted CBC is this Saturday as well.  I recall the area of a circle has something to do with a square pie.  So, a 15-mile diameter CBC circle is almost 177 square miles.  That's a lot of setting the parking break, jumping out of the car and pishing.  Barkhamsted and all remaining CBCs could also probably use some extra coverage.  Please refer to the COA home page for contact information.

CBC experiences this past weekend continue to reinforce the importance of early morning coverage, multiple party coverage in the same count area, and repeated visits to productive areas.  As long as these observations/locations are well-communicated, double counting is easily prevented.

Further evidence of the value of early morning birding and multiple parties, came during a recent Stratford-Milford CBC.  A blizzard shut the Count down before noon.  Most species had already been adequately ticked.

Steve Mayo
Bethany