[CT Birds] Eagles, Owls, and such

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Dec 19 13:27:57 EST 2012

In the vein of an earlier discussion regarding raptors and prey balances this winter, I have a few anecdotal observations. I have on several occasions in recent days had close calls with large owls flying very low across major state highways, something I've previously experienced very infrequently. Additionally, on my frequent hikes in southeastern Connecticut, I have found a few small mammals  that appeared emaciated dead in the leaf litter (mice and voles, with one Eastern Mole, but the mole looked to have suffered internal injury/illness). I noted earlier that while hiking I was experiencing fewer small mammals rummaging in the leaf litter this winter. Lastly, this morning I observed a first year Bald Eagle sitting in a tree along Rt3 395 in Norwich, very much watching the highway the way Red-tails are wont to do. I haven't seen that behavior in Bald Eagles in CT before. What does this all mean? Maybe not much, but it does give an appearance of a tough winter in CT for birds of prey, even though lacking snow cover.

David Provencher

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.