[CT Birds] Razorbills and Gannets Stamford

B Inskeep binskeep at optonline.net
Fri Dec 21 14:50:20 EST 2012

12/21/12 1:00 pm, scoping off Stamford Ave with good visibility and a clear view of Long Island and Manhattan, there was a consistent movement of Northern Gannet up Long Island Sound of which I counted at least 15 in 20 minutes, some plunge diving. A few were fairly close and then a couple more appeared following a tug boat that was pulling a barge. There were also 11 Razorbills, 4 were headed diagonally towards Stamford Ave when I thought I might be in for a real treat if they landed, then views became obstructed by the seawall in relation to where I was standing. Also noted were 2 Red-throated Loons, several Common Loons, plenty of Red-breasted Mergansers and 5 Long-tailed Ducks. A much welcomed sight during a time of quiet reflection on a gray and somber day.

God grant them peace and comfort...

Brenda Inskeep