[CT Birds] Cackling Goose, Sherwood Island SP, Westport

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Fri Dec 21 20:03:34 EST 2012

12/21/12 12:25 PM, Sherwood Island SP, Westport: This single bird was about
a third smaller than the 175 or so Canada geese that were around it on the
lawn. All were grazing on the wet grass. The cackling goose's bill was
small, the top of the head flat, the gray of the breast wrapped around onto
the wings (where the Canada geese were browner), it had a small white
necklace (not a full collar) seen only when it extended its neck, and it
generally stayed a neck length or two away form the other geese. When I
investigated the species online tonight, I learned that there are 4
subspecies of cackling geese.  A search of photos led me to Mark Szantyr's
gallery, and this bird today looks just like the Taverner's cackling geese
in Mark's portfolio.
Russ Smiley
Marlborough, CT